- Further lockdowns are likely to be needed in some countries, or local areas of countries over the course of the next 6–9 months.
- Different countries will be at different stages over the next year or so, with rapidly changing travel restrictions, making planning on any international scale very difficult.
- Other protective measures, such as masks, ventilation and social distancing, are still essential, but there are signs that people who are vaccinated are dropping their guard, and some countries are easing protections, prematurely. This is likely to lead to new local or national flare ups.
- Inflation is likely to become an issue, as a side effect of the economic support governments have provided during the pandemic, and spending being held back by businesses and individuals now being released as lockdowns are relaxed, and demands for pay rises being passed on by businesses. Surveys of purchasing managers already show that businesses are passing rising costs on as price rises, which means there is a realistic possibility that inflation will rise outside of central bank targets.
- Central banks are likely to respond to inflation with interest rate rises.
Unlock full access to this item and the entire vault of members-only briefings, research and insights.
What comes with an Agency Radar Premium subscription?
- Monthly in-depth board briefing. Everything your board needs to know about a key issue or challenge. Materials to faciliate structured discussions.
- Regular agency briefs. A thorough survey and summary of key things to know - news, forward planning, risks, industry, events, and interesting links.
- What works. Research and investigations for tips and practices on what works. Things that you should know about for leading your agency. Ideas you can implement.
- Reading for action. Reviews of books you should know about. Insights tailored to your agency situation. Clear guides for turning insights into action.
Not ready yet? Subscribe to the free tier
Get the intelligence briefings for the frontiers of the business world
Save hours, and get to the intelligence that matters.
Research, insights and briefings to help you develop strategy, make informed decisions and lead with confidence in a chaotic world.