There's some interesting books from the world of business and beyond, either out recently or forthcoming, that are worth getting your hands on.
Here's five that we'd recommend.
- The Scout Mindset; See Things Clearly and Make Smarter Decisions
by Julia Galef
- Demanding More: Why Diversity and Inclusion Don’t Happen and What You Can Do About It
by Sheree Atcheson
- Two Beats Ahead: What Great Musical Minds Teach Us About Creativity and Innovation
by Panos A. Panay R. Michael Hendrix
- Good Data: An Optimist's Guide to Our Digital Future
by Sam Gilbert
- Subtract: The Untapped Science of Less
by Leidy Klotz
Forthcoming. Published 10 May 2021.
And below is an outline of the books:
The Scout Mindset; See Things Clearly and Make Smarter Decisions
by Julia Galef
In The Scout Mindset, Julia Galef explores two different modes of thinking, the 'soldier' and the 'scout' mindset. Unfortunately, most of us naturally have a 'soldier' mindset, were we protect our beliefs aggressively and ignore any evidence that we might be wrong. But to be right more often, we need to approach ideas more like a scout.
A scout surveys the land, seeking accuracy and understanding to find all the available information - good and bad - to gain a more truthful picture. To help you make better decisions, this book will show you how to:
- gather information from multiple sources
- weigh up short- and long-term gains
- overcome inherent biases
- transcend tribal thinking
- avoid self-deception
Drawing on fascinating stories from Warren Buffett's investing strategies to subreddit threads and modern partisan politics, Galef explores why our brains try to deceive us and reveals how we can overcome biases so that we make the right decision more often.
Get the intelligence briefings for the frontiers of the business world
Save hours, and get to the intelligence that matters.
Research, insights and briefings to help you develop strategy, make informed decisions and lead with confidence in a chaotic world.