- It is likely that clients on boom or bust trajectories will only accelerate further on their trajectory. Those who have been prospering will grow rapidly and profit further, demanding more of their agencies rapidly. Those who have been struggling already will hit harder problems as the pandemic aftershocks continue and the economic support is removed, placing their projects with agencies at risk. Agencies should be mindful of credit risks with clients.
- There is a realistic possibility of partners and suppliers in financial risk as support programmes are wound down, which could be amplified if there are further waves of the pandemic without new support. Agencies should monitor the risks in their supply chains for signs of fulfilment disruptions, inability to meet commitments, cashflow issues, or insolvency.
- There is likely to be a wave of redundancies as the furlough schemes in many countries end. These will be mostly people in sectors that have been badly affected already. The economic impacts of the pandemic are K-shaped — those in economic decline will continue to slide down, while those doing well are thriving.
- Costs are likely to rise due to inflation. Suppliers will seek price increases. Staff will seek pay rises, especially if salaries have been frozen for the last 18 months.
Unlock full access to this item and the entire vault of members-only briefings, research and insights.
What comes with an Agency Radar Premium subscription?
- Monthly in-depth board briefing. Everything your board needs to know about a key issue or challenge. Materials to faciliate structured discussions.
- Regular agency briefs. A thorough survey and summary of key things to know - news, forward planning, risks, industry, events, and interesting links.
- What works. Research and investigations for tips and practices on what works. Things that you should know about for leading your agency. Ideas you can implement.
- Reading for action. Reviews of books you should know about. Insights tailored to your agency situation. Clear guides for turning insights into action.
Not ready yet? Subscribe to the free tier
Get the intelligence briefings for the frontiers of the business world
Save hours, and get to the intelligence that matters.
Research, insights and briefings to help you develop strategy, make informed decisions and lead with confidence in a chaotic world.